Definition of balsam fir in English:
A North American fir tree that yields Canada balsam.
- Abies balsamea, family Pinaceae
- Like balsam fir, white fir is relatively difficult to establish in plantations, and growth after planting is often very irregular.
- The forests include such conifers as red spruce, black spruce, white spruce, balsam fir, red pine, jack pine, eastern white pine, tamarack, eastern white cedar, and eastern hemlock.
- Old-growth stands are thus characterized by a continuous low-canopy layer of balsam fir and white cedar from which taller birch and white spruce individuals emerge.
Definition of balsam fir in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan