Definition of baluster in English:
1A short pillar or column, typically decorative in design, in a series supporting a rail or coping.
- Here, too were the louvres, the broad-based wooden benches, the curvilinear balusters supporting rails around polished wooden platforms.
- The vertical posts are called rails or balusters if it is a balcony.
- Mold-making polyurethane is an economical substitute for silicone or latex to cast decorative concrete tabletops, balusters, or replicas of natural rocks and boulders.
1.1 [as modifier] (Of a furniture leg or other decorative item) having the form of a baluster.
- The stand, with its baluster legs and serpentine stretcher, is also japanned and similar to other European designs of this period.
- The front legs on virtually all of these chairs have small baluster turnings atop heavy tapered legs that terminate in pad feet on little disks.
- He shows an earlier type of candlestick of baluster form spreading downwards into a deep drip tray with a squat cinched base.
Words that rhyme with balusterAlasdair
Definition of baluster in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.