Definition of baluster in English:
1A short pillar or column, typically decorative in design, in a series supporting a rail or coping.
- Here, too were the louvres, the broad-based wooden benches, the curvilinear balusters supporting rails around polished wooden platforms.
- The vertical posts are called rails or balusters if it is a balcony.
- Mold-making polyurethane is an economical substitute for silicone or latex to cast decorative concrete tabletops, balusters, or replicas of natural rocks and boulders.
1.1 [as modifier] (Of a furniture leg or other decorative item) having the form of a baluster.
- The stand, with its baluster legs and serpentine stretcher, is also japanned and similar to other European designs of this period.
- The front legs on virtually all of these chairs have small baluster turnings atop heavy tapered legs that terminate in pad feet on little disks.
- He shows an earlier type of candlestick of baluster form spreading downwards into a deep drip tray with a squat cinched base.
Words that rhyme with balusterAlasdair
Definition of baluster in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan