Definition of banderole in English:
1A narrow flaglike object, in particular.
- A charming infant St John twines up in one corner with his olive-twig cross and his Agnus Dei banderole.
- The old ritual demanded that a pine tree be cut down and decorated with flower garlands and banderoles before its setting up in the temple.
1.3A ribbonlike stone scroll bearing an inscription.
- The banderole bears the inscription ‘Asperges Me Hyssopo,’ a phrase from Psalm 51: 7.
- The tympanum over the center door is carved with a representation of Jesus, flanked by angels, and standing on a banderole inscribed: ‘I am the door’.
- The text on the banderole on the left reads (in translation), ‘a welcome meal for a guest who has come from afar,’ above which in smaller characters is, ‘written for the owner of the Western Garden.’
Definition of banderole in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan