Definition of bandicoot in English:
A mainly insectivorous marsupial native to Australia and New Guinea.
- Family Peramelidae: several genera and species, some of which are endangered or extinct, including the short-nosed (or southern brown) bandicoot (Isodon obesulus)
- On Terra these include kangaroos, wallabies, bandicoots, opossums, and wombats.
- As Gondwana broke up, the link was broken, and the Australasian marsupials evolved in isolation, giving rise to the modern groups of koalas, bandicoots, wombats, and kangaroos.
- This marsupial family includes 4 genera and 10 species of bandicoots and bilbies.
Late 18th century: from Telugu pandikokku, literally 'pig-rat'.
Definition of bandicoot in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.