Definition of bandicoot in English:
A mainly insectivorous marsupial native to Australia and New Guinea.
- Family Peramelidae: several genera and species, some of which are endangered or extinct, including the short-nosed (or southern brown) bandicoot (Isodon obesulus)
- On Terra these include kangaroos, wallabies, bandicoots, opossums, and wombats.
- As Gondwana broke up, the link was broken, and the Australasian marsupials evolved in isolation, giving rise to the modern groups of koalas, bandicoots, wombats, and kangaroos.
- This marsupial family includes 4 genera and 10 species of bandicoots and bilbies.
late 18th century: from Telugu pandikokku, literally 'pig-rat'.
Definition of bandicoot in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan