Definition of baneberry in English:
noun (plural baneberries)
1A plant of the buttercup family that bears fluffy spikes of creamy-white flowers followed by shiny berries. Native to north temperate regions, it was formerly used in medicine.
- Genus Actaea, family Ranunculaceae: many species, including the North American white baneberry (A. pachypoda), with clusters of black-eyed white berries on red stalks
- Common in the understory are chokecherry, beaked hazelnut, a wild rose, red baneberry, thimbleberry, and bracken.
- In place of Aryan glory I'd grown patches of wiry baneberry thistles interspersed with industrial size brillo bathtub scrubbers.
- Some of the rare plants to benefit from the Project will include limestone fern, baneberry, soloman's seal and rigid buckler fern.
1.1The bitter, typically poisonous berry of the baneberry plant.
- Mountain ash will hold its berries all winter, but baneberries are falling, drops of lip-red venom in the moss.
- But baneberries have some subtle but noticeable differences from the highbush cranberries.
- Next you will add three baneberries; this is very important because if you don't, you will make the Draught of Unknown Desires, which will be effective for about an hour.
Definition of baneberry in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.