Definition of banister in English:
1The structure formed by uprights and a handrail at the side of a staircase.
- This effect also would be pretty on a porch rail or stair banister.
- A jury has recommended that hand rails or banisters be installed in houses at an inquest into the tragic death of a former member of Dervish on Christmas Day.
- We decided to take a short cut through the neighborhood yards playing follow the leader over hedges, fences, porch banisters, etc.
1.1A single upright at the side of the staircase: I stuck my head between the banisters
More example sentences
- Yet despite this, both consulates were rather attractive buildings: cool and breezy, with intricately carved banisters and fine teak panelling.
- Beyond this the entrance hall includes ceiling cornicing and a dado rail as well as a stripped pine staircase and banisters.
- The living room kept its unexpected adobe-style fireplace, the great-room its unusual green onyx banisters.
Mid 17th century: from earlier barrister, alteration of baluster.
Words that rhyme with banistercanister
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.