An evergreen Australian shrub that typically has narrow, leathery leaves and spikes of bottlebrushlike flowers.
- Genus Banksia, family Proteaceae
More example sentences
- The pavilions will house plants from temperate regions of the southern hemisphere such as passion flowers, camellias, banksias, tea trees and wattles.
- Her last design, a tall stand, displayed large palm leaves and monstera leaves, with banksias, five red exotic lilies, stralitzias and bronze anthuriums.
- The Bangalow palm, the waratah, the fire-wheel flower, the banksia and the Sturt desert pea are all captured in this way.
modern Latin, named after Sir Joseph Banks (see Banks, Sir Joseph).
Definition of banksia in:
- The British & World English dictionary