1A chicken of a small breed, of which the cock is noted for its aggressiveness: figurative what a wiry bantam he is!
More example sentences
- He's a prize-winning breeder of poultry and waterfowl and started breeding bantams and poultry when he was seven.
- The £7.99 book was inspired by the dozen bantams and sole chicken, Val, that she keeps in the back garden.
- Out back were the Vietnamese pheasants and bantams that Kilroy-Silk breeds.
2 short for bantamweight.
- Tiger Flowers was middleweight champion in 1926, Panama Al Brown the bantam in 1929, Kid Chocolate the Jr. lightweight in 1931, and John Henry Lewis light heavyweight belt holder in 1935.
- WBC bantam champion Veeraphol Sahaprom stopped Boy Givara in round seven of a ten-round non-title bout at the Mall Shopping Center Stadium in Bangkok.
- This year, for the first time, we have not had parents coaching our bantam or midget teams.
Mid 18th century: apparently named after the province of Bantam in Java, although the fowl is not native there.
Words that rhyme with bantamphantom
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of bantam in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.