noun(also banyan tree)
- An Indian fig tree whose branches produce aerial roots that later become accessory trunks. A mature tree may cover several acres in this manner.
More example sentences
- Ficus benghalensis, family Moraceae
- The monument is a massive flagpole entwined with the trunk and branches of a symbolic banyan tree forged in steel.
- Then it scampered off up the aerial roots of a nearby banyan tree.
- A porter stops to rest under the shade of a huge banyan tree, its trunk twisting out of the earth and its umbrella-like branches arching over a granite stairway.
late 16th century: from Portuguese, from Gujarati vāṇiyo 'man of the trading caste', from Sanskrit. Originally denoting a Hindu trader or merchant, the term was applied by Europeans in the mid 17th century to a particular tree under which such traders had built a pagoda.
More definitions of banyanDefinition of banyan in:
- The British & World English dictionary