- 1A meal or gathering at which meat, fish, or other food is cooked out of doors on a rack over an open fire or on a portable grill.More example sentences
- On my last day in Australia, my parents cooked me a barbecue in their backyard barbecue area.
- At a barbecue food is cooked on a rusty grill which birds have probably used as a toilet on a daily basis since last summer.
- There are less formal meals, picnics and barbecues and the forthcoming brunch is one of these occasions.
- 1.1A portable grill used for the preparation of food at a barbecue, or a brick fireplace containing a grill.More example sentences
- Consider cooking on an outside barbecue grill or use a microwave oven, which does not generate as much heat and uses less energy than a gas or electric range.
- Complement your healthy summer lifestyle with fresh food cooked on the barbecue.
- The women all cook together on dow tarns - wood fire barbecues out the back.
- 1.2North American Food cooked on a barbecue.More example sentences
- Throughout the weekend, club members and their families came by to eat barbecue and many side dishes.
- We would be eating pizza or barbecue food, not spaghetti by candlelight.
- Wade, is it true that you had eaten barbecue, were throwing up over people, had a broken arm, and it was gushing blood, all while you were playing?
verb (barbecues, barbecuing, barbecued)[with object] Back to top
- Cook (meat, fish, or other food) on a barbecue: fish barbecued with herbs (as adjective barbecued) barbecued chickenMore example sentences
- While Stephen and Louis sat down on the sand drinking beer and talking, Jessica and Cecilia took turns in barbecuing the yummy food.
- Dad barbecued some steaks, and Mom made potato salad and corn on the cob.
- When the American Institute for Cancer Research issued guidelines for barbecuing meat safely, this somehow reminded Corcoran of the Nazi era.
mid 17th century: from Spanish barbacoa, perhaps from Arawak barbacoa 'wooden frame on posts'. The original sense was 'wooden framework for sleeping on, or for storing meat or fish to be dried'.