- 1A fixed armored housing at the base of a gun turret on a warship or armored vehicle.More example sentences
- The main 76 mm gun was carried in a barbette on the right side of the hull, with a turret above carrying a smaller 37 mm gun.
- Dropping down to the seabed, the smaller barbettes and guns could be seen, and huge 13.5in projectiles lay scattered on the sand.
- Our picture shows the 76 mm gun barbette on one of the tanks.
- 1.1 • historical A platform on which a gun is placed to fire over a parapet.More example sentences
- In the 1890s the barbette mounting for coastal-defense guns became the preferred pattern.
- The barbette mounted the gun on a pivot so that it could fire over a parapet.
- In the interior was a shed for a guard room, and a small magazine under the barbette platform.
late 18th century: from French, diminutive of barbe 'beard' (see barb1).
More definitions of barbetteDefinition of barbette in:
- The British & World English dictionary