Definition of barbital in English:
A long-acting sedative and sleep-inducing drug of the barbiturate type.
- Alternative name: diethylbarbituric acid; chemical formula: C6H12O3N2
- The author performed immunoprecipitation with immunodiffusion, using Petri dishes that contained 15 ml of 1.2% agarose in a barbital buffer.
- Systemic and intracerebroventricular administration of sodium barbital induced a place preference in rats
- These results suggest that nifedipine potentiates the development of physical dependence on barbital but not diazepam.
Early 20th century: from barbituric acid, on the pattern of veronal (an alternative name).
Definition of barbital in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.