- A long-acting sedative and sleep-inducing drug of the barbiturate type.
More example sentences
- Alternative name: diethylbarbituric acid; chemical formula: C6H12O3N2
- The author performed immunoprecipitation with immunodiffusion, using Petri dishes that contained 15 ml of 1.2% agarose in a barbital buffer.
- Systemic and intracerebroventricular administration of sodium barbital induced a place preference in rats
- These results suggest that nifedipine potentiates the development of physical dependence on barbital but not diazepam.
early 20th century: from barbituric acid, on the pattern of veronal (an alternative name).
More definitions of barbitalDefinition of barbital in:
- The British & World English dictionary