1A song traditionally sung by Venetian gondoliers.
- The gondolier's song, the barcarole, moves-like all music-in time; but also on the boat and water from which it is originally sung.
- A barcarolle is characterized by a rhythm reminiscent of the gondolier's stroke, almost invariably a moderate tempo 6/8 meter.
- This boat song, a barcarolle of tender grace, gently rocks with the gondola in the meandering waterways.
1.1A musical composition in the style of a barcarole.
- While most of the pieces are quite brilliant and therefore frequently found on recital programs, one should not ignore the only lyrical piece in the collection, Pastorale, a lovely, flowing piece in the style of a barcarolle.
- In the 18th and 19th centuries the barcarole inspired a considerable number of vocal and instrumental compositions, ranging from opera arias to character pieces for piano.
- The name alludes to the Barcarole ariaa Venetian boat songfrom Jacques Offenbach's opera, Les Contes d'Hoffmann.
Late 18th century: from French barcarolle, from Venetian Italian barcarola 'boatman's song', from barca 'boat'.
Words that rhyme with barcarolebole, bowl, cajole, coal, Cole, condole, console, control, dhole, dole, droll, enrol (US enroll), extol, foal, goal, hole, Joel, knoll, kohl, mol, mole, Nicole, parol, parole, patrol, pole, poll, prole, rôle, roll, scroll, Seoul, shoal, skoal, sole, soul, stole, stroll, thole, Tirol, toad-in-the-hole, toll, troll, vole, whole
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of barcarole in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.