Definition of barium in English:
1The chemical element of atomic number 56, a soft white reactive metal of the alkaline earth group. (Symbol: Ba)
- New processing methods are outlined from which potassium, sodium, barium, strontium and cadmium were discovered.
- The resulting elements (such as, strontium, zirconium, barium, lanthanum, and lead) then decay into still heavier elements.
- Many of these cavities contain good crystals of potassium, strontium, barium, rare earths, titanium, and niobium minerals.
1.1A mixture of barium sulfate and water, opaque to X-rays, that is swallowed to permit radiological examination of the stomach or intestines: [as modifier]: a barium meal
More example sentences
- An example of this is in specialty guidelines for colon cancer screening, where radiologists recommend barium enemas while gastroenterologists recommend colonoscopy.
- Useful modalities for investigating a suspected case include small bowel barium meal, barium enema, ultrasonography, computed tomographic scan and colonoscopy.
- There is also insufficient evidence to recommend for or against routine screening with digital rectal examination, barium enema, or colonoscopy.
Words that rhyme with bariumaquarium, armamentarium, caldarium, cinerarium, columbarium, dolphinarium, frigidarium, herbarium, honorarium, planetarium, rosarium, sanitarium, solarium, sudarium, tepidarium, terrarium, vivarium
Definition of barium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.