Definition of barleycorn in English:
1A grain of barley.
- The weight of a barleycorn, later renamed the grain is the original basis of all English weight systems.
- He led a goat dressed in homespun, one of last year's barleycorns tucked above its ear.
- Here is a barleycorn of a different kind to those which grow in the farmer's fields, and which the chickens eat; put it into a flower-pot, and see what will happen.
1.1A former unit of measurement (about a third of an inch) based on the length of a grain of barley.
- The longest normal foot measured 39 barleycorns, or 13 inches, and was called size 13.
- In England and Scotland, at least as early as the 12th century an inch was thought of as 3 barleycorns laid end to end.
- Use the following calculator to convert between feet and barleycorns.
Words that rhyme with barleycornunicorn • Capricorn
Definition of barleycorn in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.