1The large door of a barn.
- He held up his hand in order to silence any dim-witted replies as the sliding barn door swayed and heaved before finally giving way.
- Shouting the dogs name, he slid the barn door closed and then peered over the stall door and looked down at her.
- Keep the trailer door and barn door open so the animal can peer inside the trailer and get used to it before loading.
1.1A target too large to be missed: on the shooting range he could not hit a barn door
More example sentences
- You wouldn't make fun of him in a TV commercial; much better to make use of a designer - a far easier barn door to hit.
- Maybe next time, the groundstaff here might think of erecting a few barn doors in selected spots for extra target practice.
- As Irishman Paul McGinley observed: ‘Seve may not be able to hit a barn door with a driver, but he has an unbelievable short game.’
1.2A hinged metal flap fitted to a spotlight to control the direction and intensity of its beam.
- If I could do it all over with what I know now, I would get two hard lights with barn doors like the Alzo 800 and two Coollights soft fixtures.
- My husband recently purchased an estate at auction, and included was a large case with four lights with barn doors on them.
- I am looking at either Arri or Lowel focusable lights with barn doors and scrims.
Definition of barn door in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.