Definition of barn owl in English:
An owl with a heart-shaped face, dark eyes, and relatively long, slender legs. It typically nests in farm buildings or in holes in trees.
- Genus Tyto, family Tytonidae: three species, especially the white-faced T. alba, which is found throughout the world
- Harry Potter had Hedwig as his pet owl but youngsters at a Bolton school went three better when an eagle owl, a tawny owl and a barn owl flew in.
- We did a conducted night drive and spotted many nocturnal small animals, including genet and mongoose, a barn owl up a tree eating a mouse and nightjars sitting on eggs.
- Such a sight is sadly no longer common across Norfolk fields but at Strumpshaw Fen, near Norwich, the barn owl, with its distinctive white heart-shaped face, is breeding again.
Definition of barn owl in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.