Definition of barnacle goose in English:
A goose with a white face and black neck, breeding in the arctic tundra of Greenland and northern Europe.
- Branta leucopsis, family Anatidae
- Based on genetic similarities, the second group would also include the barnacle goose, a population of distinctive-looking geese that is currently recognized as a species by itself.
- For instance, detailed study of the DNA of the barnacle goose has located its origin on a twig of the Canada goose's family tree.
- So the barnacle goose and the small Canada geese were more closely related to each other than the small Canada goose was to the large Canada goose.
Mid 18th century: see barnacle.
Definition of barnacle goose in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.