Definition of barramundi in English:
noun (plural same or barramundis)
Any of a number of large, chiefly freshwater, fishes of Australia and Southeast Asia.
- ● A fish that migrates between the sea and rivers and is valued as a food fish (Lates calcarifer, family Centropomidae). ● A mouthbrooder (genus Scleropages, family Osteoglossidae), in particular S. leichardti, which is popular with fly fishermen.
- My country is on the eastern side of Melville Island where people today hunt for magpie goose and go fishing for freshwater barramundi.
- Barramundi caught in the wild and from saltwater farms have flooded the market, pushing down the price for freshwater barramundi by more than 20 per cent.
- But you won't see a traditional U.S.-style bass boat stalking Australia's celebrated barramundi.
late 19th century: probably from an Aboriginal language of Queensland, Australia.
Definition of barramundi in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia