Definition of bartsia in English:
A herbaceous plant of the figwort family. Some kinds obtain additional nourishment by attachment to the roots of other plants, especially grasses.
- Bartsia and related genera, family Scrophulariaceae: several species, in particular the pink-flowered red bartsia (Odontites serotina)
- Cultivation in combination with growing a competitive crop will limit red bartsia infestations.
- The flora of these habitat mosaics is outstandingly species-rich and includes many rare northern species, such as alpine bartsia Bartsia alpina and bird's eye primrose Primula farinosa.
- P. latifolia (red bartsia, common bartsia) grows to 20 cm and is often reddish, with deeply toothed leaves.
modern Latin, from the name of Johann Bartsch (1709–38), Prussian botanist.
Definition of bartsia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan