Definition of basal metabolic rate in English:
The rate at which the body uses energy while at rest to keep vital functions going, such as breathing and keeping warm.
- If rapid growth rates reflect the basal metabolic rates of sauropods, then these giant dinosaurs can no longer be regarded as ‘good reptiles.’
- The forager expends 1 unit of energy per time period as a basal metabolic rate, independent of what it is doing.
- For every 0.6 [degrees] C increase in core temperature, there is a 10 percent elevation in the basal metabolic rate.
basal metabolism noun
- Example sentences
- In rodents, sympathetic activation of brown fat appears to play an important role in increasing thermogenesis and basal metabolism via activation of uncoupling proteins.
- Some sources use the terms resting metabolic rate or resting energy expenditure to describe basal metabolism.
- This involuntary activity is known as basal metabolism and represents about 60 percent of your body's energy need.
Definition of basal metabolic rate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.