- A fundamental unit that is defined arbitrarily and not by combinations of other units. The base units of the SI system are the meter, kilogram, second, ampere, kelvin, mole, and candela.More example sentences
- In the metric system, the base unit of weight is the gram; in the avoirdupois system, it's the pound.
- The seven base units of the SI system, each of which is used for a particular physical quantity, are shown in figure 1.
- Individual starch grains were used as the base unit of analysis for these experiments (as opposed to analysing the positions of entire amyloplasts).
More definitions of base unitDefinition of base unit in:
- The British & World English dictionary