- A large shark that feeds exclusively on plankton and often swims slowly close to the surface, found chiefly in the open ocean.
More example sentences
- Cetorhinus maximus, the only member of the family Cetorhinidae
- It may be one of the largest animals on Earth, growing to a length of more than 10m, but the basking shark is a harmless plankton feeder: the ultimate gentle giant.
- No plankton means no basking sharks or manta rays but it also means exceedingly good visibility.
- Finally, I am concerned that the bill proposes to issue quota for species that are so endangered that they are subject to the convention on endangered species, such as basking shark, whale shark, and sea horse.
More definitions of basking sharkDefinition of basking shark in:
- The British & World English dictionary