- An alto clarinet in F.More example sentences
- When it came to the clarinet family, one must admit that the basset horn does sound a trifle canine, but as with flutes and saxophones, soprano, alto, tenor, baritone or bass always flowed on in logical order.
- The concert opens with a special arrangement of the Magic Flute overture and the programme includes the well known Serenade for 13 Wind Instruments in the original version using a basset horn.
- Because Mozart wrote for the basset horn in some 20 works, makers kept it available, and it was also used by Beethoven, Spohr, Mendelssohn, and Richard Strauss.
mid 19th century: from German, translation of French cor de bassette, from Italian corno di bassetto, from corno 'horn' + di 'of' + bassetto (diminutive of basso 'low', from Latin bassus 'short').
More definitions of basset hornDefinition of basset horn in:
- The British & World English dictionary