- A North American linden tree, commonly planted along streets.
More example sentences
- Genus Tilia, family Tiliaceae: several species, in particular the large-leaved T. americana (also called American linden) of the northern US and Canada
- Except for a few looming hemlocks, the forest is mostly hardwoods, and the light streams through the thinning tops of the taller oaks and basswoods.
- Walnut trees can also grow in small groups or as scattered specimens mixed with American elm, hackberry, boxelder, sugar maple, green and white ash, basswood, red oak, and hickory.
- In contrast, a bee-pollinated basswood can flower a month or more after the leaf buds have opened, when bee populations peak in late summer.
More definitions of basswoodDefinition of basswood in:
- The British & World English dictionary