Definition of bast in English:
noun(also bast fiber)
1Fibrous material from the phloem of a plant, used as fiber in matting, cord, etc.
- It wasn't unknown for the ribs for example to be lashed in place with bast fibre cords, that were soaked in pitch to preserve them.
- They are made from papyrus root, bast fiber, and banana leaves and are decorated with mud dyes in elaborate patterns.
- Linen is from flax, a bast fiber taken from the stalk of the plant.
1.1 Botany The phloem or vascular tissue of a plant.
- Ramie is also similar to linen and is a bast of plant fiber.
- The four groupings are: seed-hair fibers, leaf fibers, bast fibers, and miscellaneous fibers.
- There was a clear deficiency of bast fibre along the length of the mutant stem.
Definition of bast in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia