- 1Wash by immersing one’s body in water.More example sentences
- People used the same water to bathe, wash their cows and drink,’ Bascombe related.
- But what if the upstream community wants to use the water to bathe and wash clothes, and the result will be a shortage of drinking water for the downstream community?
- In other news, I got to bathe in running water tonight!
- 1.1 [with object] Soak or wipe gently with liquid to clean or soothe: she bathed and bandaged my kneeMore example sentences
- Use cotton wool, or a pad for removing make-up, to soak up this mix and gently bathe the eyes.
- Hop Sing continued to gently bathe the wound; although there was little point it offered some comfort and hope to the young man.
- After meals, gently bathe the site with warm salt water (one teaspoon of table salt to a glass).
- 1.2 [with object] North American Wash (someone) in a bath: they bathed the babyMore example sentences
- Anyway, with my terrier, sometimes I bathe her to wash the allergens off.
- In the naming ritual, the grandmother kneels and washes the mother's hair, then bathes the baby.
- No one ever taught me how to actually bathe a baby!
- 2chiefly British Spend time in the ocean or a lake, river, or swimming pool for pleasure.More example sentences
- I would land from time to time and swim and bathe in the lake and watch as white birds lifted from the water and soared off to the clouds.
- Summer now exists only as a vague memory, a time when all was warm and I bathed in lakes and pools and kissed and danced (possibly).
- Both men and donkeys stepped into the cool waters of the river, bathed and then spent some time under the green shady trees.
- 3 [with object] (usually be bathed) Suffuse or envelop in something: the park lay bathed in sunshine mussels bathed in garlic butterMore example sentences
- And at winter dusk, sky and snow are bathed in delicate colours which linger for hours.
- On a sunny Sunday that is unseasonably warm, the Pawson household is bathed in light and filled with the smell of roasting lamb.
- Kita was immediately bathed in a pool of white light.
- More example sentences
- We dare not complain because, though collectively we catch and consume millions of fish each year, sharks are royal game and are at liberty to eat any bather who accidentally strays into their path.
- In Still Life with Frog, a single standing bather is awkward and stiff, without any of the convincing tactile presence of, say, Point.
- It was this current that got him and another bather from Stradbally into difficulty at the picturesque cove on July 22, 2000.
Old English bathian, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch and German baden.