- A manned spherical chamber for deep-sea observation, lowered by cable from a ship.More example sentences
- The biggest difference between a bathysphere and a bathyscaphe is that the bathysphere is heavier than water and the bathyscaphe is lighter.
- Spiders were diving under water in air-filled diving bells long before man invented the submarine or the bathysphere.
- Fish biologists descend in bathyspheres and submarines to the deepest oceanic canyon, and trawlers scrape up odd saltwater nematodes and mollusks from the bottom sediments.
1930s: from Greek bathus 'deep' + sphere.
More definitions of bathysphereDefinition of bathysphere in:
- The British & World English dictionary