Definition of batik in English:
1A method (originally used in Java) of producing colored designs on textiles by dyeing them, having first applied wax to the parts to be left undyed.
- Together with their three children, Runi and Adrian have developed a new company which specializes in textiles, batik and jewelry items made of wood, bronze, porcelain and leather.
- He is one of the new generation of pioneers in batik design, which he makes on textured woven fabric with the play of soft color gradation.
- It is said that there are over 3,000 batik designs that include Indian, Chinese and Buddhist patterns including indigenous motifs of local fruits and flowers.
1.1Cloth that has been dyed using the batik method.
- This film has compelling intersecting historical references via the dress of the 18th century and the African batiks (cloth designs) of today.
- Beaded cloth from India, Indonesian batiks, and Hawaiian tapa are perfect for pillows or throws.
- I have always liked doing both fabric and paper batiks.
late 19th century: from Javanese, literally 'painted'.