Definition of battalion in English:
1A large body of troops ready for battle, especially an infantry unit forming part of a brigade typically commanded by a lieutenant colonel.
- He has held key staff positions with troops at the battalion, brigade and division levels.
- Throughout World War II, infantry battalions did not even have battalion scouts.
- National Guard infantry battalions have been integrated into combat operations throughout the theater.
1.1A large, organized group of people pursuing a common aim or sharing a major undertaking.
- It has, however, successfully filled a gap produced by the collapse of the big battalions of the international secular Left.
- India's specialized technology institutes are turning out battalions of software wizards.
- Legislation was introduced to control prices, and exports, to requisition cereals, and to organize labour battalions to work the land.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan