Definition of battening in English:
1The application or addition of battens.
- On Monday the builders will come along and finish the battening, ready to accept the shiny new slates.
- Then the builders donned roofing gear and started in on the long, long job of finishing the battening and laying new slate tiles on the back roof.
1.1A structure formed with battens.
- This arrives in the interspace between the box and the pavilion, which is roofed and partly clad in various degrees of battening.
- Its vertical battening and large eaves evoke the Victorian cottages on Martha's Vineyard.
- Mid-morning the builders came, climbed the scaffold, and the house began to shake and rattle as cedar shingles were ripped off, closely followed by old battening, and then, all of a sudden, there was no roof on the study.
Definition of battening in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.