Definition of bauxite in English:
An amorphous clayey rock that is the chief commercial ore of aluminum. It consists largely of hydrated alumina with variable proportions of iron oxides.
- The principal economic activities and primary sources of foreign exchange are bauxite mining and alumina production, tourism, and sugar and banana exports.
- It is among the world's leading producers of bauxite and alumina, which are exported to Canada, Norway, and the United States.
- The major exports are bauxite and alumina, apparel, sugar, bananas, coffee, citrus and citrus products, rum, cocoa, and labor.
- Example sentences
- Sequence III extends from the base of Seam 4A to the base of the bauxitic claystone beneath Seam 2.
- Seam 4A has a much higher content of alumina than the other seams, which may suggest that the detrital input into this coal mire contained a greater proportion of bauxitic weathering products than the other coals.
- The coastal lagoonal deposits are represented by bauxitic claystones resting on the undulating top of thick-bedded limestones.
Mid 19th century: from French, from Les Baux (the name of a village near Arles in southeastern France, near which it was first found) + -ite1.
Definition of bauxite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.