Definition of bayberry in English:
noun (plural bayberries)
1A North American shrub with aromatic leathery leaves and waxy berries. See also wax myrtle.
- Genus Myrica, family Myricaceae: several species, in particular northern bayberry (M. pensylvanica) and black bayberry (M. heterophylla)
- Included in the brambles are raspberries, blackberries, dewberries, loganberries, bayberries, and the wineberry.
- Wild bayberry thrives in the sand with almost no maintenance, will grow in full sun or partial shade, is not harmed by salt spray and is drought-resistant.
- Before fall migration, swallows gorge themselves on insects and bayberries.
2A tropical American shrub with aromatic leaves that are used in the preparation of bay rum. Also called bay rum tree.
- Pimenta racemosa, family Myrtaceae
- Needles that still look fresh should be removed from the tree and mixed with an equal amount of bayberry leaves, tiny pinecones and a preservative that absorbs scent.
- In the past, grass, bayberry, and other weeds had taken over most areas used by the nesting commons.
- The rolling hummocks wear a soft, wind-tossed mane of reeds, and here and there thickets of aspen, sumac and bayberry punctuate the scene.
Words that rhyme with bayberryblaeberry
Definition of bayberry in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.