- Perhaps because of their preference for rocky shores, marine otters have never been found along the sandy beaches of the Atlantic Patagonian coasts.
- Lazy summer days are made to be spent on the gravel flats and sandy beaches along Northern California's Russian River.
- On the beach at Sandy Hook on the New Jersey shore one October there were hundreds of us assembled in the predawn hours, fishing for striped bass.
- The centreboards make it possible to beach the boats, trailer them and get them into very shallow water.
- When the ship was beached, the crew disappeared into the night.
- As the story goes, it was in May 1880 that five young yachtsmen beached their boat at Horseshoe Harbor in Larchmont, New York.
- The frantic battle against the clock began when locals noticed a pod of whales beached on Aughacasla Strand, on the Dingle Peninsula, at around 10 am.
- Giant whale vertebrae lie beached and bleached on the shore like prehistoric, bone propellers.
- At the time 14 beaked whales became beached on the same day that U.S. Navy destroyers where engaged in a sonar exercise.
- At last, after some twenty-five minutes, a stunning fish was beached: a fresh-run female steelhead of some fourteen or fifteen pounds.
- I was ready to beach the fish on the bar, which now stood clear of all but the biggest waves.
- I was very fortunate and beached ten sharks of between about 160 lbs and 290 lbs - all estimated weights by Terence, and he is not generous.
- Three years ago, after a serious heart attack while manning a dinghy in a frostbite race, Shields was beached from competition by his doctors.
- As galvanic as Holliday is Cleavant Derricks as a slam-bang comic belter sadly beached by new musical tides.
- For more than a year, takeover artist and TWA chairman Carl Icahn has been missing from the roiling waters of corporate raids, beached by huge investments in Texaco and USX.
Mid 16th century (denoting shingle on the seashore): perhaps related to Old English bæce, bece 'brook' (an element that survives in place names such as Wisbech and Sandbach), assuming an intermediate sense 'pebbly river valley'.
Words that rhyme with beachbeech, beseech, bleach, breach, breech, each, impeach, leach, leech, outreach, peach, pleach, preach, reach, screech, speech, teach
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.