- A small crustacean of the seashore that typically lives among seaweed and leaps when disturbed. Also called sand flea, sand hopper.
More example sentences
- Orchestia and other genera, order Amphipoda
- The scud are closely related to beach fleas or beach hoppers, which live on just about all sandy ocean shores.
- But look closely and you can find sand shrimp and beach fleas hopping through the debris.
- Some bathers are unnecessarily apprehensive about being bitten by beach fleas, which feed only on organic debris.