Definition of beaked whale in English:
A medium-sized whale with elongated jaws that form a beak, often showing marked differences in size and body form between the sexes.
- Family Ziphiidae: four genera and several species
- Although he and his colleagues named a new beaked whale only last year, Mead says that scientists generally describe a whale species perhaps once a decade.
- Dolphins and porpoises are examples of odontocetes, as are belugas, narwhals, killer whales, sperm whales, and beaked whales.
- There are dolphins, both bottlenose and common, pilot whales, Cuvier's beaked whales and some more cetaceans yet, seen far away, their watery blows arcing into the sky against a cold and arid landscape.
Definition of beaked whale in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan