1The pelt of a bear, especially when used as a rug or wrap.
- Let me put on a D' Angelo CD, and I will pull you close, and we'll slow-dance on my white bearskin rug.
- Carl had a heavy bearskin coat and he wrapped it around them both.
- During warm months the Ojibwa slept on cedar bough mattresses, each person wrapped in a bearskin or deerskin robe.
1.1A tall cap of black fur worn ceremonially by certain military troops.
- Guardsmen, standing well over 6ft tall in their black bearskins, never flinched in the face of the mini-enemy.
- Guards of honour in their black bearskin head gear and long, blue-grey coats stood to attention facing the presidential party.
- As usual, the ceremonial of the Nijmegen Company Grenadier Guards, who formed the Guard of Honour in scarlet tunics and black bearskins, was immaculate.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of bearskin in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.