Definition of bee fly in English:
A squat, hairy, beelike fly that hovers to feed from flowers using its long tongue. Its larvae usually parasitize other insects, especially bees and wasps.
- Family Bombyllidae: many genera
- Bee flies favour warm, and sunny localities
- I most often see bee flies hovering around flowers, or if resting, usually on the ground, on bare soil.
- A bee fly is nectaring on the blossom.
Definition of bee fly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan