Definition of beech fern in English:
A fern with triangular, deeply lobed fronds. Native to eastern North America, it favors moist woodland habitats and streamsides.
- Genus Thelypteris, family Polypodiaceae: two species, the broad beech fern (T. hexagonptera) and the long beech fern (also narrow beech fern or northern beech fern) (T. phegopteris)
- The fronds of beech ferns are shaped like arrowheads, with the lowest pair of leaflets pointing out at a diagonal.
- Typically found in rich woodlands, broad beech fern adapts well to virtually any partially shaded woodland garden.
- Christmas, lady, cinnamon and broad beech ferns thrive in the area.
Definition of beech fern in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.