(also beefsteak mushroom)
Definition of beefsteak fungus in English:
An edible reddish-brown bracket fungus that resembles raw beef. Native to both Eurasia and North America, it usually grows on oak or sweet chestnut trees.
- Fistulina hepatica, family Fistulinaceae, class Hymenomycetes
- Clean and cut the beefsteak fungus into fine slices and place in a frying pan with finely chopped shallots and garlic.
- This is a beefsteak fungus; it looks like a slab of meat and it ‘bleeds’ when you cut into it.
- I was delighted to find a beefsteak fungus growing on an oak tree by Wimpole Hall.
Definition of beefsteak fungus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India