Definition of belemnite in English:
An extinct cephalopod mollusk with a bullet-shaped internal shell that is often found as a fossil in marine deposits of the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods.
- Order Belemnoidea, class Cephalopoda: many genera
- These turned out to be remains from the tentacles of extinct squid-like belemnites.
- They included the great marine reptiles such as ichthyosaurs and plesiosaurs, but also smaller creatures such as ammonites and belemnites - the precursor's of today's squid.
- Urgonian facies are also characterized, negatively, by the absence of ammonites and belemnites.
Definition of belemnite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan