Definition of belemnite in English:
An extinct cephalopod mollusk with a bullet-shaped internal shell that is often found as a fossil in marine deposits of the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods.
- Order Belemnoidea, class Cephalopoda: many genera
- These turned out to be remains from the tentacles of extinct squid-like belemnites.
- They included the great marine reptiles such as ichthyosaurs and plesiosaurs, but also smaller creatures such as ammonites and belemnites - the precursor's of today's squid.
- Urgonian facies are also characterized, negatively, by the absence of ammonites and belemnites.
Early 17th century: from modern Latin belemnites, based on Greek belemnon 'dart'.
Definition of belemnite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.