Definition of bell jar in English:
1A bell-shaped glass cover used for covering delicate objects or used in a laboratory, typically for enclosing samples.
- A one gramme weight is placed on the scale pan of an electronic balance and the balance is covered by a glass bell jar.
- In the white void opposite, he has placed a glass bell jar containing an auction hammer.
- I think there's a great deal of misunderstanding about what emptiness is, the idea that emptiness is something that happens under a bell jar when you exhaust all the air from it.
2An environment in which someone is protected or cut off from the outside world: let him stay in his bell jar of perfectionist concentration
More example sentences
- Everything seems safely enclosed in a bell jar of the most delicate glass… But inside me there is no peace.
- To the person in the bell jar… the world itself is a bad dream.
- There's me, pleading with my friends to let go of the emotions making them ill and here I am in my own bell jar, not for the attention but for the quiet, you see.
Definition of bell jar in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan