1Hostile and aggressive: a bull-necked, belligerent old man
More example sentences
- And I think we do need to hear what they are saying because they act as a restraint to an aggressive or belligerent response’.
- He's a good footballer but he's not very aggressive, not very belligerent and I'd like to think that with 20-odd caps he'd be a bit more aggressive than he is.
- In arguments they are emotionally very aggressive - belligerent, contemptuous, insulting.
hostile, aggressive, threatening, antagonistic, warlike, warmongering, hawkish, pugnacious, bellicose, truculent, confrontational, contentious, militant, combative
informal spoiling for a fight, trigger-happy, scrappy
1.1Engaged in a war or conflict, as recognized by international law.
- It is based upon the customary international laws of belligerent occupation, including the Hague Regulations.
- It is widely recognized that access by belligerent groups to the gains from drug production and trafficking contributes to the intensity and prolongation of military conflict.
- Take also the case of lawful belligerent reprisals (for example, the use of prohibited weapons).
warring, at war, combatant, fighting, battling
A nation or person engaged in war or conflict, as recognized by international law.
- Moreover, as against states not parties to an international armed conflict, belligerents enjoy no special privileges and remain bound by general rules of international law.
- In rejecting this challenge, the Court drew the distinction between the common law notion of lawful and unlawful belligerents.
- The customary laws of war, when adapted for conflict with unlawful belligerents, must always incorporate rules of humanitarian restraint.
- Example sentences
- ‘Don't even think about asking,’ he cautioned belligerently.
- But she later changed tack, reverting to a belligerently confrontational stance.
- ‘I never started explaining,’ Penelope pointed out belligerently.
Late 16th century: from Latin belligerant- 'waging war', from the verb belligerare, from bellum 'war'.
Words that rhyme with belligerentrefrigerant
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.