Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of benefit tourist in English:
A person who travels to or within Britain in order to live off social security payments while untruthfully claiming to be seeking work.
- He's the ‘benefit tourist’ who grabbed £1.5 million in a tax rebate in Britain in 2002.
- The Government has taken action to stem the arrival of people from 10 new EU countries, but the situation is more complex than ‘benefit tourist’ scare stories.
- Sadly, the Government has left it to the eleventh hour before thinking about how these loopholes might be closed and the nation's borders secured against a tide of benefit tourists.
- benefit tourism noun
- Example sentences
- The habitual residence test was introduced as a centrepiece for a party conference speech in order to deal with the dangers of what is described as benefit tourism.
- The Opposition said that benefit tourism was a non- problem, and that there were at most 5,000 continental claimants a year.
- I intend to monitor migration flows but, contrary to what was said regarding the accession states previously, large numbers did not migrate and I do not anticipate a scenario such as benefit tourism occurring in Ireland.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.