- A strong ribbed fabric made of a mixture of silk and either cotton or wool.More example sentences
- Designed by Christian Dior New York in black bengaline, the cut is straight, the look - elegant and classic.
- The vest was cut from a damask brocade and the breeches from bengaline, the latter which was dyed to match the vest fabric.
- This ball gown is made from bengaline.
late 19th century: from French, so named because of a similarity with archaic Bengals denoting fabrics, usually silks, imported from Bengal.
More definitions of bengalineDefinition of bengaline in:
- The British & World English dictionary