Definition of benthos in English:
The flora and fauna found on the bottom, or in the bottom sediments, of a sea, lake, or other body of water.
- Even if an intertidal zone existed, sea ice disturbance, as well as the unstable, gravelly substrate, would make it uninhabitable by intertidal benthos, epifauna, or epiphytes.
- In this study, we examine how the size structure of benthos in lakes and predation by fishes were related over five years under seminatural gradients of fish biomass and predation pressure in three north-temperate experimental lakes.
- The presence of other specialized benthos at the crinoid-bearing localities indicates that the ocean bottom locally was not fully anoxic.
- Example sentences
- The blue marlin occupies a high trophic level, feeding on pelegic and benthic organisms in the ecosystem of the open ocean.
- Much of this distinctiveness can now be ascribed to the influence of Actinocyclus normanii in both the planktonic and benthic food webs.
- So, we conclude that Urbilateria was part of the benthic epifauna - a bottom crawler.
Late 19th century: from Greek, 'depth of the sea'.
Definition of benthos in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.