noun (plural bentos)
- 1A lacquered or decorated wooden Japanese lunchbox.More example sentences
- Try simple but sturdy wood or craft-paper boxes, picnic baskets, bamboo steamers, lunch boxes, Japanese bento boxes, or even plastic wastepaper baskets.
- The importance of presentation is equally apparent on a smaller scale, in the famous Japanese bento box (for a lunch or picnic).
- ‘Oh, sure, I'd like that,’ I said as I reached for my bento box.
- 1.1A Japanese-style packed lunch, consisting of such items as rice, vegetables, and sashimi (raw fish with condiments).More example sentences
- Of course there is more to a bento than the rice, and the accompaniments (called o-kazu in Japanese) are many and various.
- The next step is likely to be Japanese-style foods, such as bento boxed rice lunches.
- The matsu bento features attractive tuna and salmon sashimi, accompanied by a butterfly shrimp and zucchini tempura with a side bowl of dipping sauce.
More definitions of bentoDefinition of bento in:
- The British & World English dictionary