- A transparent pale green, blue, or yellow mineral consisting of a silicate of beryllium and aluminum, sometimes used as a gemstone.More example sentences
- Emerald, a green transparent variety of beryl, was one of the most highly prized gemstones in antiquity.
- Lepidolite, beryl, tantalite, quartz crystals, and altered and unaltered petalite are some of the minerals that can be found in this district.
- Egypt was probably the only source of emerald and other green beryl for the ancient civilizations of Europe and the Mediterranean region.
Middle English: from Old French beril, via Latin from Greek bērullos.
More definitions of berylDefinition of beryl in:
- The British & World English dictionary