- There was a small table with a bowl beside his bed and a person sat on a chair overlooking him.
- They sat at one of the better tables up beside the parapet overlooking the courtyard.
- Aiden was kind enough to ask me to sit beside him at the table that he had all to himself.
- But I feel ugly beside Willow and wonder how she can bring herself to look at me, never mind kiss me.
- She is so clever and intelligent, I look at her and think "Wow, I feel stupid beside her".
- They might just feel stupid beside those who are much better than themselves.
- There are two other artists beside myself that I would like to incorporate into the fabric of my discussion.
- You only give respect to people who respect others beside themselves.
- My 1 year old son has no contact with other children beside his sister!
It is sometimes said that beside should not be used to mean ‘apart from’ and that besides should be used instead ( he commissioned work from other artists besides Minton rather than he commissioned work from other artists beside Minton). Although there is little logical basis for such a view, and in standard English both beside and besides are used for this sense, it is worth being aware of the potential ambiguity in the use of beside: beside the cold meat, there are platters of trout and salmon means either ‘the cold meat is next to the trout and salmon’ or ‘apart from the cold meat, there are also trout and salmon.’ Beside is always the word to use in the phrases beside the point and beside oneself.
- Overcome with worry or anger; distraught: she was beside herself with anguishMore example sentences
- Their friends and family are beside themselves with worry and grief, and not having any power to do anything to ease the situation is incredibly frustrating.
- Of course, as you can imagine, all the neighbouring nursery owners (this is a big area for horticulture) were beside themselves with worry.
- Parents were beginning to arrive here at the gates, absolutely horrified, beside themselves with worry.
beside the point
- see point.
Words that rhyme with besideabide, applied, aside, astride, backslide, bestride, betide, bide, bride, chide, Clyde, cockeyed, coincide, collide, confide, cried, decide, divide, dried, elide, five-a-side, glide, guide, hide, hollow-eyed, I'd, implied, lied, misguide, nationwide, nide, offside, onside, outride, outside, pan-fried, pied, pie-eyed, pitch-side, popeyed, pride, provide, ride, Said, shied, side, slide, sloe-eyed, snide, square-eyed, starry-eyed, statewide, Strathclyde, stride, subdivide, subside, tide, tried, undyed, wall-eyed, wide, worldwide
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.