- Standard redwood patterns include: tongue & groove, bevel, rabbeted bevel, shiplap, channel shiplap and V shiplap.
- The older picture showed an aluminium-hued casing with rounded corners and a screen bevel sloping away to the edge of the unit.
- They should be trimmed to 4-5 inches wide with a 35-degree bevel on one edge.
- Where the skirting board butts up against a doorframe, check that the angle is true and, if not, use a sliding bevel to measure the angle of the cut and mark on the board.
- Perhaps the simplest form of edging is to take a shovel and bevel and edge all around the garden.
- He states that early Chinese plane blades were sharpened with two bevels, the front bevel requiring a lower iron mounting angle.
verb (bevels, beveling, beveled or bevels, bevelling, bevelled)[with object] (often as adjective beveled)
- The quality and finish of the cooler is very good, the base is smooth and the edges are even bevelled nicely.
- If the chips are quite minor, it should be possible to have them ground down and polished out, or the edges could be bevelled out.
- Planes are for removing very thin layers of wood, for trimming and smoothing, for straightening edges or beveling them, and even for adding a groove.
bay from Middle English:
Hounds have bayed since the Middle Ages. Like bark, the word probably imitates the sound. People can now also bay for blood, when they call loudly for someone to be punished. The related phrase at bay comes from hunting and means ‘cornered, forced to face one's attackers’. It is often used now in to hold someone at bay, ‘to prevent someone from approaching or having an effect’. The geographical bay (Late Middle English) can be traced back to Old French baie, from Old Spanish bahia, but no further. The bay tree (Late Middle English) came via Old French from Latin bāca ‘berry’, and the type of bay found in a bay window, also late Middle English, comes from Old French baie, from the verb baer ‘to gape’. This is also, via baif ‘open-mouthed’ the source of bevel (late 16th century). See also baize
Words that rhyme with bevelbedevil, devil, dishevel, kevel, level, revel, split-level
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.